April 2015 Rundown

April 2015 Rundown

Friday, May 1, 2015



Whoa! I read ten books in April. That's the most I've ever read in a month. And I liked all of them! Really loved 70% of them! That feels pretty good.

I graduate in 17 days, so things might get a little quieter around here for these last two weeks as I try to get my act together. Wish me luck! Now let's look at what went down in this very bookish month.

What I Did

  1. I didn't fuck up my poetry reading. I read some stuff that was kind of heavy, but it went well.
  2. I participated in the first #ReadingMyLibrary challenge. It taught me a lot about my local library AND I met my goal of reading 6 library books this month. KILLED IT.
  3. My mom got me Roxane Gay and Karen Russell's autographs!! Still can't get over it.
  4. I went to the Chicago Reader Book Swap. It was scary and crowded, but obviously I picked up the best tactics for nabbing great books and came out a champion. I was born for this.
  5. I participated in my very first 24 hour readathon! It was a blast. And I read 3 books. I'm so glad I made the time for this.
  6. This sounds dorky and I don't know how to make it not sound dorky, but I've just had a great time at work and school and the internet. Hanging out with my friends in and out of school has been great. And I love my book blogging friends more than ever. It's just been a really nice month apart from my soul crushing fear of the future. I feel really lucky.

Books Read




















  1. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara - What an amazing experience.
  2. Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill - My kind of book. Brilliant.
  3. Burial Rites by Hannah Kent - So beautiful! I'm so glad I didn't put off reading this book.
  4. Hammer Head: The Making of a Carpenter by Nina MacLaughlin - Very inspiring. Definitely what I needed to read at this tumultuous time in my life.
  5. The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka - So many tears. Stunning.
  6. Ghost World by Daniel Clowes - These characters are actually me and my very specific close friends. WEIRD. An excellent graphic novel.
  7. The Wallcreeper by Nell Zink - WEIRDER. Very strange, very funny, brilliant writing.
  8. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers - Not my favorite, but a pretty incredible debut novel.
  9. The Last Flight of Poxl West by Daniel Torday - An interesting experience with a book within a book. The ending was crazy!
  10. I Am Sorry to Think I Have Raised a Timid Son by Kent Russell - Not the best book I've ever read, but it made me think a lot about fathers and what it means for me not to have one.


My Best Posts in April

     

Books I Plan to Read in May

  1. War of the Encyclopaedists by Christopher Robinson & Gavin Kovite - I've been interested in this one for a while, and I finally have a copy!
  2. The Shore by Sara Taylor - Because everyone else is doing it. And also Southern fiction focused on ladies? Yes, please.
  3. Hausfrau by Jill Alexander Essbaum - Yeah, I'll actually read it this month.
  4. We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson - My two person book club's ACTUAL final book choice.
  5. People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara - Because Yanagihara has proven to be really really good. And this sounds crazy.

Things I'm Looking Forward to in May

  1. Graduating. I guess. Two more weeks. Somebody help me.
  2. Deciding what to do with my life. Just kidding, that's my least favorite thing.
  3. Having my family and boyfriend visit Chicago! That'll be a good time.
  4. I really don't have any big plans. Hire me!
  5. Trying to review/talk about more books I love. I realized that I mostly wrote extended posts on books that were kind of problematic, when I'd love to share more books that I can back 100%. I'm going to try to focus on that more once I graduate and have copious amounts of free time!

 

 

Happy May, everyone! Are you ready for summer? Tell me about the best book you read in April!

 

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...