Thrifty Thursday #1: The Wild Shore

Thrifty Thursday #1: The Wild Shore

Thursday, April 23, 2015

First for a little update. You may have noticed that my blog was completely gutted and redesigned! Yay! I started this project on a whim last night. At first I was about to buy a $5 premade template, but as I was looking at them, I was like "nah, I can figure this out." So that's what I did. It was a fun/very frustrating way to stay up until 3 am. AND I added disqus, so commenting and comment notifications will be much less horrible! I hope you guys like it.

Ok, back to the topic at hand. I know it's a little late in the day to be doing a Thursday post, but I was sick all day. Because of that, I may or may not have drank an entire 2 liter of ginger ale. To be fair, I knocked over a full glass in my sleepy stupid. Ginger ale is medicine AND hardwood floor polish, right?

Thrifty Thursday is a meme started by my friend Sal over at Motion Sick Lit. He is like my weird fiction muse. He always has a good recommendation for me that I've NEVER heard of. And he's really good at analyzing writing too. He's a new book blogger, so check him out!

The idea of Thrifty Thursday: each week you link up a used book you get for (preferably) under $5. Grabbing a book you've never heard of is encouraged. It's a cool way to support local shops and maybe find a new favorite book. Since I love judging books by their covers, this is just the activity for me.


THE BOOKSTORE: Bucket O' Blood



This is one of my all time favorites in Chicago. If you're anywhere near Logan Square, you MUST check out Bucket O' Blood. It's a used bookstore AND record store. They sell sci-fi, horror, fantasy, and some literary fiction. So obviously it was made for me. Everything is super cheap and it's hard not to find something fun to bring home.


THE BOOK: The Wild Shore by Kim Stanley Robinson


Do you see that? Do you see that on the cover? It's a blurb from Ursula K. Le Guin. "There's a fresh wind blowing in The Wild Shore." That's ALL I NEED. But also that cover is super nice. And I've heard of Kim Stanley Robinson's science fiction before, but hadn't actually read anything. So I took the plunge! Here's what it's about:

2047: For the small Pacific Coast community of San Onofre, life in the aftermath of a devastating nuclear attack is a matter of survival, a day-to-day struggle to stay alive. But young Hank Fletcher dreams of the world that might have been, and might yet be--and dreams of playing a crucial role in America's rebirth.

Sounds cool, right? I don't read a lot of dystopians/utopians anymore, but I'm very intrigued by this imagining of an alternate history of America. And it's a trilogy, so if I REALLY like it, there's more where that came from!

PRICE: $5
I couldn't even feel guilty about buying it.  

Thanks for hosting this, Sal!


What cheap books have you picked up recently? Tell me about your favorite used bookstore!


Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...