Bout of Books: Day Four - Like This, Try This Challenge

Bout of Books: Day Four - Like This, Try This Challenge

Thursday, August 21, 2014

http://boutofbooks.blogspot.com/

This read-a-thon has been less of a complete disaster than I thought it would be. It's Day Four and I've read 467 so far. That's like 1-2 normal sized books! But I went for finishing one enormous book. Oh well. You can read more about my progress (and my devastating hangover) on the Bout of Books Master Post two posts down.

I have actually participated in all of the challenges so far (yay). I just haven't had to post them here. But today's is a recommendation post hosted by Writing My Own Fairytale, so here goes nothing.


If you liked this...
 How Should a Person Be? by Sheila Heti

You should try this... 
Selected Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Employee by Megan Boyle

Because both are HBO Girls-esque explorations of the lives of 20-somethings. Selected Unpublished Blog Posts takes an interesting turn by using stream of consciousness poetry that could be appreciated by Heti fans.


If you liked this...
Jagannath by Karin Tidbeck

You should try this... 
 The Honey Month by Amal El'Mohtar
Because both are beautifully written, strange little stories. Jagannath is certainly more developed, but that's because The Honey Month is essentially short daily entries inspired by tasting different kinds of honey. What comes out of these simple pieces is delicate and surreal. Both are refreshingly otherworldly.

If you liked this...
Night Film by Marisha Pessl

You should try this... 
Silence Once Begun by Jesse Ball

Because they are investigations of strange, dark crimes that both use interesting multimedia. I wasn't blown away by Night Film, but I was interested in the potential occult crimes of an underground horror filmmaker. Silence Once Begun is 100x times better. More subtle, more interesting writing, more subtext. The anecdotes of people the narrator interviewed haunt and puzzle me to this day.


Do you agree? Have any other recommendations for fans of these books?

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...