Thrifty Thursday #5: The Border of Paradise

Thrifty Thursday #5: The Border of Paradise

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Thrifty Thursday #5: The Border of Paradise :: Outlandish Lit

Thrifty Thursday is a meme started by my friend Sal over at Motion Sick Lit, which is a great book blog.

The idea of Thrifty Thursday: each week you link up a used book you get for (preferably) under $5. Grabbing a book you've never heard of is encouraged. It's a cool way to support local shops and maybe find a new favorite book. Since I love judging books by their covers, this is just the activity for me.


THE BOOKSTORE: Magers & Quinn

© LitHub

Prepare yourself, for I already felt like I was cheating by talking about Magers & Quinn (the bookstore where I work). I'm about to cheat even harder.


THE BOOK: 


The Border of Paradise by Esmé Weijun Wang



Thrifty Thursday #5: The Border of Paradise :: Outlandish Lit
Check out my Instagram for more book photos

In booming postwar Brooklyn, the Nowak Piano Company is an American success story. There is just one problem: the Nowak’s only son, David. A handsome kid and shy like his mother, David struggles with neuroses. If not for his only friend, Marianne, David’s life would be intolerable. When David inherits the piano company at just 18 and Marianne breaks things off, David sells the company and travels around the world. In Taiwan, his life changes when he meets the daughter of a local madame — beautiful, sharp-tongued Daisy. Returning to the United States, the couple (and newborn son) buy an isolated country house in Northern California’s Polk Valley.

As David's mental health deteriorates, he has a brief affair with Marianne, producing a daughter. When Marianne appears at their doorstep, the couple's fateful decision to take the child as their own determines a tragic course of events for the entire family. Told from multiple perspectives, The Border of Paradise culminates in heartrending fashion, as the young heirs to the Nowak fortune must confront their past and the tragic reality of their future.

This is an ARC that I totally didn't buy! I've been SO thrifty lately, that I'm not even buying books. Not for any reason (or potential trip) in particular, though............

Anyway, bookstores get sent a lot of advanced review copies for booksellers to read, and I snatched this one immediately when I saw the cover. Normally I'd run the opposite direction when I see the word "multigenerational," but I physically felt ill at the thought of leaving this book behind. @jjoongie, one of my favorite Bookstagrammers, told me she read it and loved it. So I have faith. And I'm super curious to read my first Unnamed Press book.

TOTAL PRICE: $0

Because it's illegal to sell ARCs.

Thanks for hosting this, Sal!



Would you have picked this book up?
What cheap books have you found recently?


Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...