It's Monday, What Are You Reading? [June 29, 2015]

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? [June 29, 2015]

Monday, June 29, 2015

All photos currently unphotoshopped. SORRY BOUT IT.

This was my week off and it was GREAT, but unfortunately I have to be a real working person again today. That reality is rough. For four days and three nights, I was camping at Banning State Park in Sandstone, Minnesota. My woodsiness was so hardcore. I chopped my glorious stiletto nails into little square stumps just so I could like climb trees and eat raw squirrels or whatever (or so I wouldn't break another nail). It was a real cool place. There were abandoned remnants of a town. SPOOKY.





The hiking was glorious. So was the reading. Reading People in the Trees near a waterfall was unreal. Basically felt like I was in a jungle. And then my boyfriend and I read horror stories from After the People Lights Have Gone Off by Stephen Graham Jones over the campfire every night. I'm going to be real, they weren't all that scary. But they were definitely weird and a little creepy, if you're into more literary horror.

As glorious as this scene was, we totally walked in on a man who was bathing naked in the waterfall. I should've known something fishy was going on when I saw a pile of clothes just sitting atop the rocks. Luckily he hid in some bushes before a dad and his kids walked by.


We also stopped by the place where my summer camp used to be held almost ten years ago. I cried a lot. I have some severe camp feelings. And then right when we got home, The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer arrived in the mail. KISMET.


THIS WEEK I READ:

  • The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara

CURRENTLY READING:



Gender Outlaws by Kate Bornstein and S. Bear Bergman is a collection of nonfiction essays, stories, comics, etc. written by transgender and genderqueer writers. I meant to read this in Chicago, but had to return it after only having read the intro. So far I'm very impressed by the important work in this book. I'm also delighted that it lines up with the marriage equality that has recently graced America. I think it's worth acknowledging that we still have a long way to go.








What are you reading this week?

 

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...