May 2015 Rundown

May 2015 Rundown

Sunday, May 31, 2015


Things were a little quiet over here on the blogging and reading front. Finals and graduation will do that, I guess. This month I read 8 books (and a single issue comic book), which is pretty solid considering. I've been getting really into graphic novels for whatever reason. Overall, it's been a pretty great month of reading, continuing my streak of great reading since January! Maybe I'm just easy to please.

WHAT I DID


1. // I killed it with my finals. My final grades were 3 A's and 2 A-'s YEAH.

2. // I graduated! Weird. Still figuring out what to do with myself now.

3. // I got to meet Shaina from Shaina Reads!! And she did not catfish me. And we vlogged about it. It was the best.

4. // I've decided to move back to Minnesota for the time being. I've got a job there and it makes sense financially. I definitely need a break to figure out what's next for me.

BOOKS READ




1. // The Shore by Sara Taylor - So dark, so beautiful. A new favorite.

2. // We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson - Another new favorite. Shirley Jackson is forever my horror queen.

3. // Citizen by Claudia Rankine - A lot of angry crying took place. So good.

4. // My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf -Amazing! A nonfiction graphic novel that looks at Dahmer, the infamous serial killer, when he was in high school.

5. // Trees by Warren Ellis - Another great graphic novel, but this one's sci-fi.

6. // The Kiss by Kathryn Harrison - A dark memoir about an incestuous relationship between father and daughter. It's well written, but I don't know what else to say haha.

7. // Dendera by Yuya Sato - Science fiction in translation about a elderly Japanese woman utopia (kind of). It was alright.

8. // Amelia's Middle-School Graduation Yearbook by Marissa Moss - I let my nostalgia run wild with this picture book from a series I read as a kid. Honestly, these books were probably the seed that grew into my interest in book with experimental formats.



UPDATE: I also read Saga vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughn and Scott Pilgrim vol. 1 by Bryan Lee O'Malley this afternoon oops. Saga was absolutely incredible and I'm rushing out to get volume 2 tomorrow. Scott Pilgrim was also really good, but I don't think I'm going to read more because it was exactly like watching the movie. So it just feels redundant sort of. So that's 10 books read in May, nice.

MY BEST MAY POSTS


BOOKS I PLAN TO READ IN JUNE


1. // The Wolf Border by Sarah Hall - A zoologist has to introduce grey wolves back into the English countryside. Apparently Sarah Hall is amazing, so I'm looking forward to her new book!

2. // Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor - First contact alien sci-fi in the ocean near Nigeria YES.

3. // Wild by Cheryl Strayed - Seems appropriate as I potentially plan a solo trip somewhere.

4. // The Familiar vol. 1 by Mark Z. Danielewski - The author of House of Leaves has a new book out (volume 1 of a potential 28, yikes), so I've got to read it even though it's 880 pages.


THINGS I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO IN JUNE


1. // Moving to Minnesota. The more I think about it, the more I'm looking forward to not being in a city during the summer! I'm going to be able to save up a ridiculous amount of money and maybe take a couple trips.
2. // Rock the Garden, the Walker Art Center music festival in Minneapolis. I'll be working there on Sunday and I'll see Modest Mouse! Beyond excited. If you're going, let me knoooow.
3. // Camping and hiking. I really need to be in the woods for a while, you guys. No more subway reading for me.
4. // Being reunited with my angel cat, Pookie. I'm obsessed.

 

 

Happy June, everyone! Are you doing anything fun this summer? Tell me about the best book you read in May!

 

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...