Bout of Books Read-a-Thon 11 Master Post

Bout of Books Read-a-Thon 11 Master Post

Monday, August 18, 2014

http://boutofbooks.blogspot.com/


Oh hey, guys. This is my really abrupt return to the internet. I have no shame, everyone seems to quit doing things in August/July. I've recently had a hell of a lot going on and I've been in the worst reading slump of my life. Like I'll try starting books every once in a while, but I don't even get close to finishing them. I haven't finished a book since last month I think. Because of that:

I'm trying the Bout of Books Read-a-Thon this year! Because it sounds easy! And like it is a thing that will make me open a computer, hopefully. Not that I haven't minded not opening it. So here's what it is:

The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 18th and runs through Sunday, August 24th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 11 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team

So here's the plan. Because I totally love plans and following through with them. Keep checking back, as I'll be updating this post mostly!


My Goals

    • Finish a book already to get out of my reading slump. It's probably been a month since I've COMPLETED a book. Hopefully I'll finish at least 2.
    • Try to use Twitter
    • Try all the challenges!
    • Not stress/feel guilty.


Books to Read

I tried to give myself many options, just because it's hard to predict what I'm going to be in the mood for.
  • Night Film by Marisha Pessl
  • Ticknor by Sheila Heti
  • An Untamed State by Roxane Gay
  • Galveston by Nic Pizzolatto
  • The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers
  • The Artist of Disappearance by Anita Desai
  • AND The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin (which is waiting for me at the library)


Updates


Monday
Number of pages I’ve read today: 140
Total number of books I’ve read: 0
Books I read from: Night Film by Marisha Pessl
#todayinsixwords: Unexpected, unplanned dive into bookish activity


I've borrowed this ebook like 15 times from the library and only this past month did I start reading it. I thought that trying a fast paced thriller (a genre I haven't read in like 7 years) might get me out of my reading slump. But I didn't consider that it's more than 600 pages long. Oops. I'm getting through it relatively quickly, though. Or maybe the chapters being 3-10 pages long just makes me feel like I am.


Tuesday
Number of pages I’ve read today: 121
Total number of books I’ve read: 0
Books I read from: Night Film by Marisha Pessl
#todayinsixwords: Good considering work and going out.


I was surprisingly good about avoiding tv today after I got home from work. Normally I immediately turn on Maury and turn off my brain, because I'm so exhausted after working with kids for four hours (I know that's not a lot, real teachers and parents. I just can't handle it personally). Wanted to read more, but was obligated to go out drinking with a friend. Regrets. The immense amount of italicization in this book is still bugging me.


Wednesday
Number of pages I’ve read today: 53... yikes
Total number of books I’ve read: 0............
Books I read from: Night Film by Marisha Pessl, An Untamed State by Roxane Gay
#todayinsixwords: Hangover kept me from doing anything.

Today was actually horrible. My hangover was so bad that I couldn't even go to work. That's embarrassing and wildly irresponsible. I just kept puking. And because I was dizzy/headachey, it was really hard to get myself to read. It was hard to get myself to do anything other than sleep. Thursday will be better!


Thursday
Number of pages I’ve read today: 153
Total number of books I’ve read: 1!!!
Books I read from: Night Film by Marisha Pessl
#todayinsixwords: I finally finished an ok book!

I wasn't in love with Night Film, but I buckled down and finished it. Now I'm going to flit between a few other books and stick with one that I'm really into.


Friday
Number of pages I’ve read today: 111
Total number of books I’ve read: 1
Books I read from: An Untamed State by Roxane Gay, The Artist of Disappearance by Anita Desai
#todayinsixwords: Feeling pretty good considering reading slump

I actually read a decent amount today and I'm really liking an Untamed State. Not sure about Artist of Disappearance left, but there are only like 40 more pages of it (thank god for novellas). I wanted to push myself further and read a lot before bed while my boyfriend was sleeping, but sleep was just too tempting.


Saturday
Number of pages I’ve read today: 60
Total number of books I’ve read: 1
Books I read from: An Untamed State by Roxane Gay, The Artist of Disappearance by Anita Desai
#todayinsixwords: Oops oh well I tried ugh

So today's page count is kind of dismal, but at least I forced myself to read at all! Tomorrow's my trip to South Dakota, so I'll either not get a lot of reading done or manage to read a lot in the 7 hour car ride. Either way, I'm not about to pressure myself too much. I'm actually so pleased with how I stuck with bout of books until the bitter end.


Sunday
Number of pages I’ve read today: 214
Total number of books I’ve read: 2!
Books I read from: An Untamed State by Roxane Gay
#todayinsixwords: I finally really read a lot!

Sitting in a car for 8 hours really did wonders for my reading. I feel so good about having finished two books this week after having finished maybe 2 books in the past 2-3 months. This was the best. And An Untamed State was pretty pretty pretty good.






Happy Bout of Books, everybody!


Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...