It's Monday, What Are You Reading? [Sept. 5, 2016]

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? [Sept. 5, 2016]

Monday, September 5, 2016

Happy Labor Day, American readers! I worked Saturday, Sunday, and I'm working today, so I hate you all for your grilling and get-togethers. Regardless, I have some mildly exciting news (for me) that I've mentioned elsewhere on social media. I've officially been trained into a new role at the bookstore where I help deal with online book orders! Not packing/shipping, but essentially some online customer service along with some bookstore sleuthing. Which can be fun/aggravating. BUT the important part of this is that I'm about to have a fixed schedule for the first time in a year! And it's not a fixed weird schedule. It's just a typical 9 to 5 with a few specific days off. I'm beyond excited to have a routine. I never thought I'd say that, but I really am. I'm going to blog on specific days! And read at regular times! I'll always be able to fit it in! And I'm going to go to the gym regularly! And be able to cook for myself! I'm hyped. It starts this week and I can't wait.

Oh, also, I had a couchsurfer stay over last night - Su-Yee Lin. She won me over in her request by immediately mentioning that she likes Shirley Jackson, Karen Russell, Kelly Link, and Neil Gaiman. Hellooooooo potential book soul mate. And she WRITES THINGS. Right now she's working on a collection of short stories based on Chinese folklore that I really want to read. Here's on of her stories that she wrote in college that got published on Tor a few years back: Thirteen Steps in the Underworld. As self declared princess of the underworld, I really liked it.




THIS WEEK(S) I READ:


CURRENTLY READING: 

I finally got it!! Alexandra Kleeman, author of one of my favorite novels - You Too Can Have a Body Like Mine - has a short story collection coming out this month. Her writing continues to delight me/creep me out so far. Expect a review of Intimations by Alexandra Kleeman soon!






If you didn't know, my grandpa and I are best friends. We get along unbelievably well. We just get each other. So, as you'd expect, we both love books. And we both love lobotomies. Ok, we don't love the procedure, we just love the history of lobotomies. So I told him about Patient H.M. by Luke Dittrich after I heard Liberty talk about it on the All the Books podcast, and realized we had a few ARCs of it at the bookstore. Grandpa and I have now initiated our very first temporary two person book club where we're reading this together. It's too bad that he's much faster than I am. Hopefully I can keep up.

What are you reading this week?

 

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...