2015 Reading Stats & Challenge Update

2015 Reading Stats & Challenge Update

Monday, January 4, 2016

2015 was a year of more reading surprises than I could have reasonably been prepared for. Half of my reading veered toward sequential art out of nowhere, and at the second half of the year reading slowed really really dramatically. Regardless, I got some pretty interesting numbers out of it all. Especially because at the beginning of the year I started low key keeping track of every single book I acquired. And boy are the results scary. Check it out.


GENRE

Unsurprisingly to anybody who has watched my reading, but surprisingly to me, comics took up 47% of my books read. Baby 2014 Julianne would have never guessed!! Something that's disturbing to me: the sci-fi number. I apparently only read 3 straight science fiction novels in 2015. I definitely felt myself falling into the self-inflicted "must read currently acclaimed literary fiction" feelings every once in a while and probably disliking books more than I would have normally (looking at you Fates & Furies). I'll be posting about reading goals/resolutions tomorrow and this has an influence on some of my 2016 plans.

SOURCE

I read 74 books from the library! What!! This has something to do with me wanting to "test out" comics in their volumes before putting them on my pull list. But I'm also just a holds monster.


BOOKS ACQUIRED

I'll save you the math. At the bottom there? I acquired 187 books this year. I thought it was kind of weird that I'm almost out of bookshelf space despite having received two big new bookshelves this year. That's a new book in the apartment every other day of the year. EVERY OTHER DAY. Some of them are ebooks, but still. This is a problem. Nobody needs that many books (is what I've been told). This is another thing that will be covered in my resolutions tomorrow.



And now...

CHALLENGES

I failed the TBR Challenge. Ok, moving on.

I finished Shaina's 12 Books of Christmas Challenge! It got dramatic and suspenseful at the end there. I annoyed my friends and family by desperately trying to finish two books on my birthday, but it was all worth it in the end. Here's what I read:

1. // Bitch Planet, Vol. 1 by Kelly Sue DeConnick
2. // You Too Can Have a Body Like Mine by Alexandra Kleeman
3. // Descender, Vol. 1 by Jeff Lemire
4. // The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho (audiobook!)
5. // ODY-C, Vol. 1 by Matt Fraction
6. // Slade House by David Mitchell
7. // Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein
8. // The Hunt for Vulcan by Thomas Levenson
9. // Fourth of July Creek by Smith Henderson (another audiobook!)
10. // Revival, Vol. 5 by Tim Seeley
11. // Moon Knight, Vol. 1 by Warren Ellis
12. // Three Moments of an Explosion by China MiƩville

Thanks for hosting the challenge, Shaina! #12forXmas kind of showed me how useful audiobooks are and I'm going to try to integrate them more into my life. It was a good time.


Did you have any reading surprises this year?

 

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...