It's Monday, What Are You Reading? [July 20, 2015]

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? [July 20, 2015]

Monday, July 20, 2015

I have been in a weird reading mood. During the readathon last weekend, I kind of got disinterested in every single book that I own. Which is troubling. So right now I'm kind of on a hunt for comics/sci-fi/horror to read. That's all that sounds appealing right now and I DON'T KNOW WHY. But it's kind of been great.

Needing sci-fi led me to an amazing store in Minneapolis called Uncle Hugo's. It's a massive used book store with actual piles of science fiction everywhere. And in the back there's mysteries, but I admittedly did not go anywhere near there.

So overwhelming
Then I went over to my neighborhood comic book store and started my first pull list! The dude who works there is exceedingly friendly and made me much less nervous about doing this thing I knew nothing about. I now have Invader Zim, Bitch Planet, and Trees being pulled for me. I feel good about it. I also feel good that I'm past the age of not being asked to prom, because I would be killing it in that game right now.

One last thing! Don't forget to enter my giveaway! You could win a book of your choice from The Book Depository under $11! That doesn't sound like a lot, but it's actually plenty. Everything's mad cheap over there. I give some suggestions of what to get, don't worry.

THIS WEEK I READ:

  • A Cure for Suicide by Jesse Ball - Weird weird weird and so interesting. Review coming Wednesday.
  • They're Not Like Us #1 by Eric Stephenson - Telepaths who have to kill their parents? Or something?
  • Trees #11 by Warren Ellis - This series used to be interesting. Waiting for it to pick up again.
  • ODY-C #1 by Matt Fraction - The Odyssey with all female/intersex characters IN SPACE.
  • Memetic #1-3 by James Tynion IV - A viral image of a happy sloth brainwashes the world.

CURRENTLY READING:



I'm super into novels that kind of create languages/dialects, so I'm excited but nervous about The Country of Ice Cream Star by Sandra Newman. I also just read a dystopian, so I'm not thrilled about jumping into another, but so far this is interesting! A word full of children (at around age 20, everyone dies of the mysterious "posies" illness) sounds like my worst nightmare, but makes for a great premise.





I read like no crime fiction ever, but this summer is becoming a ~going outside of my comfort zone~ time. Did I ever read comics before? Not really. Maybe just Watchmen and Persepolis. But anyway, I've heard good, creepy things about Birdman by Mo Hayder, so I got it from the library. I'm officially one page in, so I don't know what this serial killer's deal is yet, but it is probably going to get weird.






What are you reading this week?

 

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...