February 2015 Rundown

February 2015 Rundown

Sunday, March 1, 2015




How is February over already? Also THANK GOD February is over already. I know it's still going to be cold and awful in here Chicago well into...probably May, but March starting is taking us one step closer to our long-forgotten happy selves.

While I read less books than I read last month (5 instead of 7. Two of them were reeeeal slow to get through, it's not my fault), this has been an eventful month in the book blogging world. February was pretty good overall!

What I Did IRL

  1. I was featured in a Chicago newspaper article! It was about people who've done Nanowrimo. The article was kind of awkward. I shouldn't be interviewed, because everything I say ever is a joke and that's when I got quoted. I was half joking when I said I did Nanowrimo because I "needed friends." One benefit, though, is that I'm now friends with the super talented photographer who took pictures of me.
  2. Had a great Valentine's Day. We got a lot of sushi. And one of the gifts he got me was Wild  by Cheryl Strayed. He knows me so well. The whole day was really sweet, and it was great that my boyfriend could come visit me from Minnesota.
  3. I got a shout out on River City Reading! In reaction to the recent book blogging negativity, Shannon of River City Reading decided to become a shining light of positivity, featuring smaller/newer blogs that she follows. I was lucky to be one among the other great blogs on that list! Shannon's left great comments on my blog before, but her kind words here were overwhelming. She really cares <3333
  4. Kind of started to get my blogging act together. I know I still don't write as many reviews as a lot of other bloggers, but I'm becoming a lot better about it. Especially now that I'm getting more involved with other book bloggers, I get to do cool thing like chatlog reviews. I feel pretty good about the amount of content I'm creating, and I feel pretty balanced with homework and real work. Wait, does this count as IRL? Kind of. It was a very internet month, whatever.
  5. Cried a lot about Leonard Nimoy. I actually can't handle that he's gone. I'm lucky to have seen him at his last convention appearance two or three years ago. I cried then too. Star Trek is a really big deal to me, guys. And my mom said that when her water broke while expecting me, she was watching Three Men and a Baby, which was directed by Leonard Nimoy. We obviously have a special bond, it's hard to explain.

Books Read

 

 

  1. The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin - A science fiction classic that's a new favorite of mine. Ursula K. Le Guin is perfect.
  2. Hall of Small Mammals by Thomas Pierce - Really great, weird little short stories. Exactly what I was looking for.
  3. Of Things Gone Astray by Janina Matthewson - A quirky novel about people who lose things you didn't think you could lose. A really fun read!
  4. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson - Oh man. This was a huge struggle to get through. It was definitely pretty, but I can only read the ramblings of an old white dude for so long. At least the last 30 pages were interesting.
  5. The Deep by Nick Cutter - Also a struggle to get through. Very disappointing horror book that was overcrowded with ideas. And wasn't scary.

Books I Plan to Read in February

  1. The First Bad Man by Miranda July - I've got 100 pages left in this one and I absolutely love it. It's so funny and strange. Miranda July is my hero.
  2. Sweetland by Michael Crummey - I've got to return this in three days, so I'd better get started. I've only heard good things.
  3. Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller - This sounds so good! A survivalist father who takes her daughter out into the woods? Yes, please.
  4. The Sasquatch Hunter's Almanac by Sharma Shields - Dark and fantastical? Ok. And the cover is amazing. I mean, the title is too.
  5. The Last Flight of Poxl West by Daniel Torday - A novel about a Jewish Royal Air Force pilot. Apparently there's an ending you can't talk about, which intrigues me. I need more Jewish writers in my life.

Things I'm Looking Forward to in March

  1. My trip to San Francisco!! I'm taking my first real trip with my boyfriend over spring break. I've never been west of South Dakota, so I'm beyond excited for the 3.5 days I'll have of happiness. Oh and I get to see my brother, who I think is the greatest. My new photographer friend is even letting me borrow a fancy DSLR to document the trip! I don't know if you guys know this, but photography used to be an intense love of mine.
  2. Maybe some relative warmth in the next week? I won't get my hopes up.
  3. I don't have a lot of plans, actually. To be fair, I'll be in San Francisco and Minnesota on spring break for a week and a half, so that's pretty much half the month.
  4. CATFISH. The new season just started. I love reality tv, I don't care what you think. Nev and Max forever.

 

Happy March, everyone! How dismal was your February? I mean, uh, what books did you read?

 

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...