Where I've Been

Where I've Been

Friday, May 16, 2014

Oh hey, guys. It's been a while, hasn't it? I really didn't mean to stop blogging for so long, but a lot of shit got in the way and I just had to prioritize I guess. I took an impromptu break from the internet, really. As you might've been able to tell from my last post, relations between my roommate and I are tense. I just have a few days left living with her, though! But, yeah, they've continued to be tense. What else...

Other Things That I Couldn't Handle All At Once 

  • A really close friend of mine told me some real shit that's going on in his life. I had to 1) deal with my own emotions about it and 2) be there for him as much as possible, despite not necessarily being the best at dealing with it. I'm still trying. 
  • I got a gig doing compositing and motion graphics for a music video. The stuff I have to do for it is kind of embarrassing (it's a rap video), but it's my first paying gig. Imagine a volcano spitting out dollar signs. I don't want to say more. 
  • I co-hosted a live lit reading and performed in it! That was a good time, but it was another thing I had to keep track of. Had to make sure not to forget what lies I was going to tell about people in their introductions. 
  • I got waitlisted for volunteering at SIGGRAPH, the biggest CGI conference ever. That's kind of a bummer, but I guess that's better than being rejected. It would be a huge deal to go. 
  • BUT one of my teachers is referencing me to a video game company, so that's really really exciting. It's made me step up my game in his class, though, which is time consuming. 
  • And, of course, when you're at art school, finals week is finals month. Because everything is project based, for the most part. And I just finished them all, and my junior year, yesterday! Most of my time was spent 3D modeling, sitting there and waiting for shit to render, or compositing. It's just a lot of stuff that takes a lot of time. But it's over now! Here's a rough animated video of the environment I made from scratch.




Ok, perhaps more importantly, what have I been reading this whole time?

Meaty by Samantha Irby helped me out of my slump. 

Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith was the first novel I read in what felt like forever. I thought it was just ok. 

I read part of Geek Love by Katherine Dunn. It's a library book and I really really like it, so I've got to finish it up by the end of this week!

The Martian by Andy Weir. I'm was into it as a story, but not so much as a novel. Does that make sense?

Did I mention that I read Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer? That was kind of a while ago. I'm obsessed. About to start Authority once I finish up this library book situation.


Aaaand that's me! I move out of my apartment on Sunday, so I'll be back to my normal blogging sort-of-routine by next week once I have nothing to do! I'm excited.


What have you been up to?


Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...