Top Ten Tuesday: Popular Authors I've Never Read

Top Ten Tuesday: Popular Authors I've Never Read

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Broke and the Bookish runs this business. 
This is a late night Top Ten Tuesday, because Mondays and Tuesdays are OFFICIALLY THE WORST DAYS OF MY LIFE. I have to be on campus, either in class or working, for 12 hours. It stresses me out to no end, but I think Top Ten Tuesday is delightful, so here I am. Maybe I could try out this thing called "planning" and write it on the weekend. But let's not pretend that I'm not busy drinking then. Ok, anyway.

Popular Authors I've Never Read
 or
Ten More Things for Me To Feel Guilty About in My Life

I am not sure if "popular" should mean currently popular or ever popular. So I will try to start contemporary, but I might admit to some classics failings. 

1. Junot Diaz - I want to. I really do. I have checked out his books from the library before, but for some reason I have never started one. What's wrong with me?

2. George R. R. Martin - I want to read him, but I also want the TV show to always be surprising. I'll check him out in a few years, I guess.

3. John Green - I personally don't think I care about this one, but everyone loves him so much and he seems like a nice guy who would be so friendly to people who like his books. He would be a great neighbor. I bet he owns a snow blower that I could borrow whenever too.

4. Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go is never let go by people at the library, so what's a girl to do?

5. Margaret Atwood - Genuinely don't know what she has written, but I also know that I am wrong for not knowing.

6. Isaac Asimov - Uh oh, this isn't contemporary. As a lover of sci-fi, I am ashamed. I know nothing of any world.

7. Thomas Pynchon - I know I would probably love him and actually own Gravity's Rainbow, V., and The Crying of Lot 49. They have been just sitting and waiting for years.


8. Joan Didion - I don't want to talk about it. This list is making me anxious. Just two more to go, I hope I can make it through before the self-loathing gets too devastating.

9. Charles Dickens - I don't know who I am. I need to throw one in that will make me feel better...

10. Jodi Picoult - Never have and I probably never will. I can't care. Maybe she's great. I don't know. I hope not, because look at all these other people I have been neglecting.



That was painful, but it's humbling to confront your failings once in a while... right?


UPDATE (3/5): Just got Never Let Me Go at the library. Things are changing already.



Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...