Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon :: October 2016

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon :: October 2016

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Outlandish Lit's 24 Hour #Readathon Progress

Hello, super-readers! This is my fourth time participating in Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and I'm ready to go hard. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out that link to sign up. It's exactly what it sounds like - try to read for 24 hours. And there are prizes!

My stack of to-read books may be out of hand (the books on the left in the photo are the ones I'm already halfway through), but I ain't got time to judge myself. I work for approximately 4 hours today, but that's nothing. This time around I'm going to be co-hosting the readathon, so be sure to say hi on the Readathon Twitter between 10pm and midnight central time. Also look out for my posts on the Readathon blog!

I'll keep my list of books finished here:

Zero K by Don DeLillo
Saga Volume 6 by Brian K. Vaughan
The Red Car by Marcy Dermansky


Most of my real-time, v exciting updates will be posted on twitter, instagram, and you can now find me on Litsy as OutlandishLit! But I'll be using this post every few hours to update as well. Let me know if you're participating!


UPDATES

Hour 0

1 // What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Minneapolis, Minnesota.

2 // Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?

I'm super stoked about Fish in Exile and The Mothers.

3 // Which snack are you most looking forward to?

I haven't put that much thought into snacks this year, because I discovered I have brie cheese and Mike's Hard Strawberry Lemonade in the fridge already. I clearly love myself.

4 // Tell us a little something about yourself!

I'm a spooky gal who likes to read weird books. I sell books and take photos at Magers & Quinn in Minneapolis. I like forests, intersectional feminism, horror movies, reality tv, propagating succulents, making pretty things, studying Japanese, and traveling.

5 // If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?

I'm not going to force myself to stick with a book if I'm not really feeling it. I think I'll be bummed by staying focused but reading very little. If I find something I'm excited about, I'll be happy. But, at the same time, I reaaaaally want to finish some of my half-read books.

Hour 5


Hey, everybody! I'm checking in now after a very relaxing morning of audiobook reading. I didn't wake up at 7 am, because I accidentally went to bed at 1 am (thanks, Twin Peaks). But I woke up at 8 and began audiobooking immediately. And it's 11am now and I just finished! It was Zero K by Don DeLillo, which I had started listening to a number of days ago. I had a physical copy, but for whatever reason I was finding it so hard to get myself to read it. I'm glad I did the audio. I think I liked it for the most part, and I got a bit of knitting done. Did the math and I read the equivalent of 162 pages. Now I'm going to move on to another unfinished book - Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt. Hopefully it's good.

Hour 7

I finished another one! Granted, it was a bit easier. After reading 10 pages of Hex, I switched to Saga volume 6, which was such a delight. I just ate lunch and let the boyf distract me with youtube videos for a while, but it's time for me to get back into reading. I'm very curious about Fish in Exile, so I think I might just go for it.

Hour 11

Well, I have to go to work now. I'll be back in a few hours, though. And I should be able to audiobook a bit during some of it. I read 14 pages of Fish in Exile, then swapped it out for The Red Car by Marcy Dermansky. It. Is. AMAZING. I didn't think I'd like it that much, but I love it. I'm halfway through and can't wait to come back and finish it. For the past 45 minutes I've been listening to the audiobook of The Sisters Brothers just because I was tired of reading with my eyes and it's also quite good. See you all again soon.

Hour 20

Oh my, I didn't mean to not check in here for so many hours! Work went well - I got to audiobook while at the bookstore, then I had a great time photographing Mark Frost. After that I enjoyed some pad thai and reading before hosting on twitter for two hours. I've got to tell you, that shit takes ALL your focus. After the first hour, I let my Sisters Brothers audiobook play. I think I'm halfway through that. And I just finished The Red Car which did not let me down at all. It's 100% one of my favorite books of the year. I know a ton of people I need to push this book on pronto. Ah, the joys of readathon.

Hour 21

It's 3:30am now and I think it's time for me to hit the hay. Did a little more of The Sisters Brothers then jumped over to HEX which I don't really hate anymore. Or, at least, there hasn't been bad dialogue in a while. I feel good about how much I read considering I had 5 hours of working and I also have work tomorrow morning so I need SOME sleep. This was SO much fun and I feel my reading-love renewed.



TOTAL BOOKS READ: 3
TOTAL PAGES READ: 771
TOTAL HOURS READ: 13 hours, 30 minutes

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...