Best Backlist of 2015

Best Backlist of 2015

Monday, December 28, 2015

I have put off posting my "best of" lists, because I was SO convinced that I could read another 10+ books in the second half of December, but it looks like my reading has pretty much wound down for the year. I'm starting with the completely Julianne-specific list of best backlist books I read this year (there were a lot and they were so so good). You may see that there are no comics/graphic novels featured here despite how many I read in 2015. Fear not! They're getting their own list, so I don't have to make any hard decisions. That is my Christmas gift to myself.























1. // The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara
I've gushed about this book so much, I don't want to bore everybody. Yanagihara is a spectacular writer and this book goes to to some very strange and dark places. New favorite author? She's up there.

2. // All the Birds, Singing by Evie Wyld
One of the first books I read this year and one of my new all time favorites that I only ever mention in passing. Chilling, well paced, and beautiful. Just read it.

3. // The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin
This book made me reconsider my weird bias against fantasy. Ok, I wasn't necessarily biased against it. I knew I loved Lord of the Rings, but figured I wouldn't be able to focus for as long as fantasy books/series are. But BOY WAS I WRONG. N.K. Jemisin's world building based on Egypt is so fascinating and well done. This book has no flaws.

4. // Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed
This book continues to fix my life and make me cry and be introspective in a way I hadn't before. Strayed's writing is beautiful.

5. // Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill
I absolutely devoured this book. The experimental format is done brilliantly and everything Offill says is true, funny, and often devastating. SO GOOD.

6. // The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin
Le Guin is my new sci-fi goddess. This short book about what happens when man tries to play god is well written, clever, thrilling, and thoughtful. Absolutely loved it and I'm mad I didn't read it until now.

7. // We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
I already knew I loved Shirley Jackson, because of her short stories. This novella only solidified those feelings. Perfectly creepy and funny.

8. // Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
I had also been sort of biased against historical fiction, and this new favorite readjusted all of my thinking. A beautiful book about the last woman put to death in Iceland. Stunning.

9. // White Noise by Don DeLillo
White Noise stayed with me in ways I didn't expect it to. I find myself making references to it all the time. Weird, funny, dark social commentary and overall a really good read. DeLillo just gets it.

10. // Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Everybody loved it and I did too.



What backlist book did you love this year?

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...