Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon - October 2015

Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon - October 2015

Saturday, October 17, 2015



This is my second time participating in Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon and I'm super pumped! To be honest, I hadn't even planned on actually doing it until like...yesterday. But my book slump has been way too real for my tastes, so I want to force myself into reading for as close to 24 hours as I can get. I work from 3 to 7 at the bookstore which oddly is not super fond of you reading while on the clock. So that makes it more like a 19-Hour Readathon for me. It'll do.

The books in my stack in the order I should probably read them:

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz
Three Moments of an Explosion by China Miéville
Saga Vol. 5 by Brian K. Vaughan
Revival Vol. 4 by Tim Seeley
Locke & Key Vol. 2 by Joe Hill
The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson
Rat Queens #11 and #12 by Kurtis J. Wiebe

Most of my real-time, v exciting updates will be posted on twitter and instagram, but I'll be using this post every few hours to update as well. Let me know if you're participating! LET'S READ A MILLION BOOKS!!

UPDATES

Hour 1

1 // What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Minneapolis, Minnesota!

2 // Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?

Probably Three Moments of an Explosion by China Miéville or Saga Vol. 5 by Brian K. Vaughan, because I was super hyped about reading both when they came out but for some reason put them off.

3 // Which snack are you most looking forward to?

Cheez-its. Always Cheez-its.

4 // Tell us a little something about yourself!

I'm a book blogger who really likes weird books! I'm also a bookseller at Minneapolis indie bookstore Magers & Quinn. I've been in a book slump for the past like two months, but I'm working on it and trying to embrace that sometimes I really just need to read books with pictures in them.

5 // If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?

One thing I'll do differently... if my eyes start to hurt, I might give myself a break. Don't want to burn out and create a new book slump.

Hour 7

So I managed to wake up in time to start the readathon with the rest of the world, but a few hours in I got a little bit distracted. I just hit page 300 in The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao which I'm not loving as much as everybody else in the world. I'd go ahead and just finish it, but I'm reading it with somebody so I guess I'll ask permission to complete the book so it feels like I'll have made more progress. Moving onto some comics then Fates and Furies before I go to work in 2.5 hours!


Hour 14

I'm off of work, yay!!! Before heading to work I finished Saga, Vol. 5. Then right after work I headed to a pizza place to use a coupon I'd forgotten about. On my one person pizza date, I spent a little time with Fates and Furies. Honestly, I am really over Lotto. Need to get to the good part already.


Hour 24

I toooootally fell asleep at 10pm while reading Fates and Furies. Perhaps not a good sign. I really should've invested in some Rockstar, because I did NOT get a lot of reading done this readathon. Onto the closing survey.

1 // Which hour was most daunting for you?
16, as I started to feel reeeeeal drowsy.

2 // Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
I would recommend No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July or Selected Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Employee by Megan Boyle. The titles are basically longer than the books are.

3 // Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?

Can we have some irl Readathon slumber parties? That would be ideal.

4 // What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?

Everything was beautiful <3

5 // How many books did you read?

Two. I don't want to talk about it haha.

6 // What were the names of the books you read?

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz and Saga, Vol. 5 by Brian K. Vaughan

7 // Which book did you enjoy most?

Saga, obviously. 

8 // Which did you enjoy least?

I really didn't love Oscar Wao. I realize that's an unpopular opinion.

9 // How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again?
SO LIKELY. Can we do one next weekend?


TOTAL BOOKS READ: 2
TOTAL PAGES READ: 395
TOTAL HOURS READ: 8-ish

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...