It's Monday, What Are You Reading? [Feb 23, 2015]

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? [Feb 23, 2015]

Sunday, February 22, 2015

It's Monday, What Are You Reading is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey!

Oh hey. It's my first time doing this meme, though I've always loved other people's posts in it. I used to basically do this same thing, but on Sunday. All by myself. I've finally come to the realization that I can write it on Sunday and post it on Monday! Genius.

It's been kind of a weird week for me. I've kind of been recharging and I've kind of just been a lazy asshole. But like I really shouldn't deny who I truly am, so I'm embracing my new always-under-the-electric-blanket lifestyle. To be fair, I've been sick. And I've just wanted to lie in bed and read and eat pad thai. This week I have to be a person again, so wish me luck.

This week I read:

  • The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin - This book was incredible. A sci-fi classic for a reason. I don't know why I took so long to read it, but I'm glad doing so led to me having a great buddy read/chat with Shaina!
  • The Deep by Nick Cutter - I was super disappointed by this book. By the time I got to the last ~50 pages of it, I was actively saying "blah blah blah" as I read. I haven't read horror in a while and I was looking forward to being scared, but it just didn't happen. The Troop was much better, just sayin.

Currently Reading: 

 

I've got less than 100 pages left in Hall of Small Mammals by Thomas Pierce, so I'll probably be done today! I love these stories; they're so strange. Dwarf mammoth brought back to life from DNA? Cultish boy scout troop? Sign me up. It feels like Black Mirror, but quirkier and less dark.








 My boss agreed to do a buddy read of this with me, so I'm finally getting around to this bad boy! I don't really know much about Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, other than there's a pastor? And I imagine there's a small town? Mostly I heard Lila was amazing and I wanted to start from the beginning. I haven't ACTUALLY started yet, but I'm excited!







Another I haven't actually started yet: Soil by Jamie Kornegay. I do have it freshly loaded onto my tablet, however! So that's like sticking a bookmark in it. I'll read it. It comes out on March 10th, so I'd better get on it this week. It sounds super interesting. "A darkly comic debut novel by an independent bookseller about an idealistic young farmer who moves his family to a Mississippi flood basin, suffers financial ruin and becomes increasingly paranoid he's being framed for murder."
He finds a corpse on his property and I guess, from there, shit gets weird. Can't wait to get started on this one.




What are you reading this week?


Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...