Winter Break Haul

Winter Break Haul

Friday, January 31, 2014

Winter break was an amazing time for hoarding books. Well, it was amazing until I spent thirty minutes tearfully trying to shove them all in my suitcase, ten minutes trying (almost successfully) to convince myself that I don't really need to keep any of my pants, and five minutes deciding to quit school and move back in here. Then I remembered that my mom has recently taken up playing the drums and I shuffled quickly over to the post office. I'm not complaining, though. Here are the beautiful things I got over the holidays when I went home to Minnesota.


This book is beautiful and it was a totally unexpected gift from my mom, who usually has some issues buying me things. If you don't know this about me, I'm obsessed with Lord of the Rings. I will readily admit that The Hobbit isn't really comparable in movie or in book, but I still cry every time I watch either of them because I'm so excited to be back in Middle-Earth. And it can't be denied that the art, design, and CG is beautiful in The Hobbit. This book shows a bunch of preliminary concept art and modeling. And the back has a poster of Stephen Fry as the mayor of Lake Town that I need to frame immediately.



The two on the left I've read before (one reviewed, one about to be) and the one on the right is about writing. Ok the one on the left is kind of hard to read. It's Selected Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Employee by Megan Boyle. The book (or collection of poems, I guess?) was just as good as the title. Anyway, I tend to only actually purchase books that I've already read and loved. Or put them on my wishlist. These were gifts.



Cameo appearance from Legs of my Cat. Glad I coincidentally got Middlesex right when Unputdownables is doing a read-a-long.



Grabbed these four at Half Price Books. The bottom two were inspired by my Fiction I class. I read my first Toni Morrison book, The Bluest Eye, there last semester and it was so beautiful, I needed to read everything else of hers. Reading xeroxed passages of Moby Dick for class led me to get the whole thing in one coherent and conveniently bound pile.


 

These are two books that were posted about on one of my favorite blogs, This is How She Fight Start. I basically just want to read everything that he reads, so I begin my quest slowly with these two that looked interesting.

And now for the crème de la crème...
Amazing. Beautiful. A masterpiece. This is a real book that was really written and really published. And illustrated! When I saw it, I knew that I had to buy it for my roommate. Still waiting for her to do all of my dishes all the time and compliment me daily. Not really sure why that hasn't started.



I will end with a not book from my brother for my 21st birthday last month. A bat skeleton (WHAT). Isn't it sort of adorable? Its parts are so tiny. I get to include it, because I put it next to books. It's so fucking cool, I can't handle it. I'm almost hyperventilating just thinking about it. Bats are my favorite. Skeletons are my favorite. My family knows me so well. Probably too well.

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...