Top Ten Tuesday: Words/Topics That Will Make Me Pick Up a Book

Top Ten Tuesday: Words/Topics That Will Make Me Pick Up a Book

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Broke and the Bookish runs this business.
So that. But first the top ten three things I want to write on here, because it's been a WHOLE WEEK since I last posted. Sorry for devastating you with my absence. Ok, here we go.

1. I got a google nexus 7 and now I am delving into ebooks and netgalley and having an overall more beautiful life. Also, instagram, but I only have a front facing camera, so taking photos is kind of awkward.

2. Failed the Horror Read-a-thon (also, those hyphens don't really make sense if it's coming from the word marathon. But maybe I don't actually know what the word marathon means). I have three weeks left of school and a friend from out of town lived with me for a couple days, so I did not meet the deadline. But I am going to continue reading this book and just be the really out of shape person that hits the finish line days later when the finish line isn't actually there anymore.

3. I'm reading too many books at once. Help. Again, three weeks left in this state. And I have seven library books to finish by then. I keep renewing and changing due dates, so I have to switch around reading books awkwardly according to new due date. I know, my life is so tough.

So basically, expect more from me after this semester ends.

Ok, The Real Top Ten Now

1. Original This shouldn't come as a surprise. I love books that have interesting, fresh plots.

2. Apocalyptic I just can't help myself sometimes. As a kid, sci-fi and dystopians are what really got me into reading. Not reading something apocalyptic would be like abandoning my parents.

3. Lake/Ocean I have a weird fixation on bodies of water. I think everything I've ever written has had one in it. So, naturally, I'm going to be drawn to a book that has one. Don't ask me why. Maybe it's because I'm from the land of 10,000 lakes, but I never really hung out at that many, so...

4. Quirky Because quirky is fun. Well, when it isn't annoying.

5. Witty I like things that are funny and smart.

6. Unsettling Anything that is shocking or scary or just quietly discomforting is good in my book. Again, I don't know why. I'm creepy, I guess. Every Christmas I watch Blair Witch Project, because what is more festive than that.

7. Experimental Get in my belly, books with weird formats (ok, belly doesn't really work. Eyes? Brain?)

8. Language If the language is praised or declared as "masterful" or "beautiful" or whatever, I need it. I get huge lady boners for words. I will marry the spirit of Virginia Woolf if it's the last thing I do.

9. Memory If you've read any of my reviews, you'll notice that I like anything that deal with memory or time. It is just one of those abstract, very human things that really gets to me.

10. Abandoned I like abandoned things. Not really like abandoned people or animals. More like places. But maybe a mixture of all of those would work. Wait, I think they did that with The Boxcar Children. Were the kids abandoned? Or just the boxcar? What I'd give to have a better #9 and remember 3rd grade reading. Anyway, yeah, I just like spooky shit.

Best post ever written, I'm here all week (not really, I have homework, guys).

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...