Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'm Dying to Read

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'm Dying to Read

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

This shit from The Broke and the Bookish looks like fun. And I need internet proof that I am a fun-loving person so here I am doing this. This week it's the "rewind" edition, which means do whatever the fuck you want. So I'll write down ten or so books I'm dying to read. Or maybe this should be renamed top ten books I want to read after I get through my enormous stack of library books.

1. Infinite Jest
David Foster Wallace
I checked this out of the library a while ago and got probably 60 pages in before I had to return it. I really liked what I did read, so I think this is a book I'll have to buy with actual money. Worth it probably.

2. After Dark
Haruki Murakami
I've been wanting to read this for a while, because I love Murakami's short stories. My friend, who will remain unnamed, stole a copy from a place and sent it to me. Best day of my life. So now I have no excuse to not read it.

3. Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea
Charles Seife
I don't normally read nonfiction, but I've had this book for quite a while and haven't read it yet. Here's the description of it: The Babylonians invented it, the Greeks banned it, the Hindus worshiped it, and the Church used it to fend off heretics. Now it threatens the foundations of modern physics. For centuries the power of zero savored of the demonic; once harnessed, it became the most important tool in mathematics. For zero, infinity's twin, is not like other numbers. It is both nothing and everything. Cool, right? Once I read it, I will also have a valid reason for zero being my favorite number.

4. A Tale for the Time Being
Ruth Ozeki
This. Book. It looks so good. I got a copy of it from netgalley, so once I get my kindle, I will devour this shit.

5. East of Eden
John Steinbeck
I love John Steinbeck. I was told this book is amazing. I want to read it. Why haven't I yet? I definitely own it.

6. MEATY: Essays
Samantha Irby
I need this book to come out already. I think it comes out in fall. Preordered it. Samantha Irby writes the blog Bitches Gotta Eat, which is hilarious. I've had the pleasure of meeting her, and she's also hilarious when saying words, not just writing them. What I especially love about this book (that I haven't read) is that she wrote all new material for it. None of that copying your best internet work and selling it on paper nonsense.

7. Office Girl
Joe Meno
I love Joe Meno. He works at my school and I got to meet him, too. I was kind of awkward when I met him. I recall saying "I love the words you write." Good enough, I guess. This book will probably suit my hipster sensibilities perfectly. I'm waiting patiently for the library to deliver it to me (I swear I buy books sometimes).

8. Tasteful Nudes and Other Misguided Attempts at Personal Growth and Validation 
Dave Hill
I only learned who Dave Hill was recently, but he is another hilarious person. I don't know anything about the content of his book, but I really want to read it.

9. The Brothers Karamazov
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Because I have to.

10. Vampires in the Lemon Grove: Stories
Karen Russel
I love the words Karen Russel writes, too. They are all beautiful and interesting. Apparently the stories in here are weird and I really want to be reading them right now. Ugh why can't I read everything at once all the time?

Am I horribly off about wanting to read any of these books? Do let me know.

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...